Overall Trends & Highlights
- Identify what data is most important, meaningful and actionable to your association.
- KPIs and dashboards need to be flexible and adaptable, change needs to be able
to happen quickly because it’s rare and challenging to get KPIs right the first time.
- Dashboards are becoming more important as ROI becomes a trending topic
- Starting small and testing what works and what doesn’t work is key to success. Building out a robust data and dashboard plan from the start is a sure way to set yourself up for disappointment.
Chapter Performance Dashboard: Right Side Up
Peggy and Peter from Mariner Management & Marketing, LLC are at it again! Starting small when it comes to chapter dashboards is usually a good place to start. They have organized a breakdown of metrics that can be applied to chapter activities. (See link at bottom of page.)
If you have multiple different tiers of chapters (large, medium, small, etc.) you can repurpose this template with different metrics that best align to the expectations of each tier.
“The dashboard, however, cannot stand alone and needs to be complimented by a robust chapter support system that offers volunteer leaders a variety of resources and tools they can use as appropriate to serve their members as well as both face-to-face and online forums within which those leaders can share their experiences.”
- Understanding what is important to your organization and standardizing that across different chapters can be the key to success.
- Start small and evolve your dashboard as you go – this helps you understand what data you need, how to get it and how to go about getting it if there isn’t a process currently in place.
- What story are you trying to tell with data?
- Who is your audience?
- Is it for your reference or for you to share with senior leadership?
- Is there a way to standardize your metrics across chapters?
- Is it is critical to measure chapter tiers or groups differently?
State of Your Chapter Dashboard
Dashboards, business intelligence, analytics! All buzzwords you’ve definitely heard before. But whether you have a chapter dashboard in place or are just getting started, it can be challenging to know what your next move is. This will help identify the next step for your organization; starting with identifying KPIs, gathering and aggregating your data, or utilizing your data.
“Focus efforts on larger chapters because they generate more revenue. Breaking chapters into size categories can help identify trends.”
- There are 7 top KPIs, meet with your leader to identify the important ones for your association.
- Do not try to tackle them all at one time.
- Stop collecting data that does not get used by anyone.
- Why is the data being collected?
- What data will be collected?
- Where will the data be collected?
- Who will collect the data?
- When will the data be collected?
- How will the data be collected?
Paid Dashboard Technology
With the right data, you can find hidden opportunities you didn’t know existed. Swap one-size-fits-all dashboard and rigid technology stacks with a customizable platform to set you ahead of the pack.
In the Chapter Dashboard & Data Metrics handout, we share industry articles to help you identify what data is most important, meaningful and actionable to your association.